Re: When crosscompiling, does configure really need --build?

From: Stewart Brodie
Subject: Re: When crosscompiling, does configure really need --build?
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:46:45 +0100

In message <address@hidden>
          Dan Kegel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Akim Demaille wrote:
> > You are supposed to run this as:
> >
> >       ./configure --prefix=/ --host=ppc_405 CFLAGS="-mcpu=403 -D__PPC405__"
> >
> > You are to tell the configure that you are cross-compiling.  It cannot
> > guess it, so it is entitled to fail.  Please, read the documentation.
>
> I must have been unclear, apologies.  I have read the documentation
> carefully.
> http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf/html_mono/autoconf.html#Preset%20Output%20Variables
> says to override CFLAGS in the environment, so that's what I do.
>
> Also, I *do* give the --host flag (I must have been unclear), yet I get the
> warning:
>   "configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
>   --host. If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be
> used."
>
> Why?

I don't know, but I get that all tbe time too, so I have a script that runs
the configure script for me and it always puts in:

  --build=`config.guess`

which seems to make it happy enough.

--
Stewart Brodie, Senior Software Engineer | ACCU Committee Member
Pace Micro Technology PLC                | http://www.accu.org