Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:30:57 -0700

Glenn McGrath wrote:

> I was thinking the library could be a replacement for what m4 currently
> does,

Oh, a *shell* library using shell functions!  Yeah, I've argued that
now and again for years.  functionless Bourne shells are
hopeless anachronisms.

> I know people who refuse to use autotools because of bloat/speed issues, i
> guess autotools living in the past makes it unavoidable.

It does.  It's a waste of time and developer resources.
My console program contains 750K of configure scripts and
takes as long to configure as to build.  Ick.  I think it
stupid to spend so much energy supporting hobbyist platforms
from the '70-s and '80-s.  Let the hobbyists support themselves.
I have work to do.