Re: configuring sub directories optional

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: configuring sub directories optional
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:44:31 -0500

Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

I'd like to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to configure a set of sub-packages,
but I'm missing some functionality:

I'd like to control what to do if configuration fails. Some sub-packages
are mandatory, so if AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS fails, the parent configure
should report an error and bail out. Some, however, are optional, so I'd
just like to skip them, i.e. not creating the build tree for these
sub-packages at all.

I'd like to second this request -- I recently had to write a huge
workaround for AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS because it wouldn't let my [optional]
subdirectory configure's fail gracefully.  It would be highly preferable
if there was some kind of way of knowing whether the sub-configure failed,
and then allowing the top-level configure.ac to decide whether to continue
or not.

And I would like it to butter my toast on both sides then top it with jelly on one side and peanut butter on the other. I just love sticky messes! ;)

I suppose checking for the existance of a created file in the subdirectory from the top-level configure isn't a choice that one would consider?

Earnie.