Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision

From: Kate Hedstrom
Subject: Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:13:30 -0900

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 06:58:41PM -0500, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:13:20AM -0900, Kate Hedstrom wrote:
> > > True.  But what if someone comes up with a Fortran++?
> >
> > They have - it is called Fortran 2000 and includes exceptions and
> > inheritance.
>
> I was unclear.  I meant "a language whose compiler is invoked by
> 'f++' or (literally) 'fxx'".  In that case, one will want
> FXX/FXXFLAGS to still be available.

I guess that isn't so inconceivable, is it? There is the f language
and it could have a major revision.

My Fortran story is that we have a code that is being converted from
F77 to F90. It also wants to be Serial, OpenMP and MPI, with the user
picking at compile time. We have been making do with imake and a half
dozen config files for our favorite computers, but that leaves a lot
of Makefile hacking for the user. We also have a homebrew makedepend.

In other words, it's rather ugly, but it isn't going to get any better
soon. The first priority is to get all the parallel versions running in
parallel.

Kate
--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
address@hidden       University of Alaska, Fairbanks