Re: How do I make a portable test??

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: How do I make a portable test??
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:36:07 -0500

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:43:38AM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> You have to use double brackets to use "==", thus:
> > $ if [[ abd == a?d ]] ; then echo yes ; else echo no ; fi

Well *that's* portable :-/

Just what I get for scanning the man page, and assuming
consistency.  Even if I *had* noticed those "[[" and "]]" in the
man page, I'd probably have written them off as more botched
troff.

Thanks for pointing it out.  Of course now I have to try to
forget it in the interest of portable shell-scripting, just like
the rest of the ksh goodies....

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport