Re: Detecting curses...

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: Detecting curses...
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:37:25 +0000

Hello.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:
[snip]
> From my understanding, streamlining such platform specifics is one of
> the major goals of autoconf, so: is there any chance that there will be
> a AC_CHECK_CURSES macro in a future version, which tells all the
> important facts about the libcurses it found, including:
>
> 1) does it support colour?
> 2) does it use terminfo (so key code definitions are available)
> 3) what are its most serious bugs (like: OSF1 curses doesn't survive
>    being put to the background via Ctrl-z).
>
> Or is there at least a common-effort library of well-tested macros of
> this kind?  As it is now, macros of this kind seem to have spread
> horizontally, by copy-pase from project to project, but not upwards into
> the autoconf base.

There's an autoconf macro archive here:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/

There seems to be a basic curses macro there already:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/mp_with_curses.html

If macros aren't included in a future autoconf, perhaps you could consolidate
all the current macros and submit them to an autoconf macro archive.

There's also another autoconf macro archive at Sourceforge.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://www.phekda.freeserve.co.uk/richdawe/ ]