Re: config.status - robust sed substitutions

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: config.status - robust sed substitutions
Date: 26 Feb 2003 15:43:36 -0800

Robert Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> For the line you've left here, I don't see a problem.  @var@ is @var@
> and can be nothing else; it's not a variable.

Sorry, I misunderstood the example.

> _quote_for_sed()
> {
>     sed -e 's/[\&,]/\\&/g'<<_ACEOF
> $1
> _ACEOF
> }
>
> I don't think this (^^^) is of sufficient complexity to make it worth
> living with the uncertainties of choosing another character and hoping
> it doesn't cause problems.

It's not a question of complexity; it's a question of reliability and
portability.  Here-documents are dangerous; we've learned this from
experience.

If you don't like '|', how about tab?  It's reasonable to prohibit
tabs in file names.  We already prohibit newlines, so it's not like
we're being fully general now anyway.