Re: behaviour of PATH argument in AC_PATH_PROG

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: behaviour of PATH argument in AC_PATH_PROG
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:10:08 -0400

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:41:16PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I  was beating myself over the head wondering why my AC_PATH_PROG
> invocation couldn't find iptables.  I'm using autoconf 2.57 on red hat 9.
>
> Here's what I had :
>
> AC_PATH_PROG(IPTABLES, iptables, no, $PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin)
>
> Here's what the info page gives as an example :
>
>      AC_PATH_PROG([INETD], [inetd], [/usr/libexec/inetd],
>                   [$PATH:/usr/libexec:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:etc])

> I seem to vaguely recall that using colons used to work on older
> autoconfs.  Is this an actual bug ? A feature regression ? Should the info
> page be updated for it ?

it's been broken since 2.49a; this changelog entry appears to apply:

1998-09-28  Ben Elliston  <bje@@cygnus.com>

        * acgeneral.m4 (AC_CHECK_PROG): Fix a bug if the supplied path
        contains colons. This was observed with some versions of NetBSD
        `sh' and some versions of `bash'.
        (AC_PATH_PROG): Likewise. Contributed by Tom Yu.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net