Re: Autoconf's main purpose is config.h generation that *just* has #defi

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: Re: Autoconf's main purpose is config.h generation that *just* has #define's right?...
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:59:44 +0200 (CEST)

The *result* of the autoconf-generated configure script is "just a bunch
of defines".

The configure.{ac|in} file is used to generate a shell-script that will be
used to scan the system for its abilities - at least, the ones you ask to
have checked. (That's where the "arbitrary shell code" is run). You could
effectively put shell code in the configure.{ac|in} file and thus have it
run at configure time.

Anyways, the configure script uses a Makefile.in file (which might also
contain shell code to be run at compile-time) to generate a Makefile, and
may generate a config.h file if you ask it to do so. It will also make
sure that the results of what it found are available in the form of
defines at compile-time, so you can do the
        #if HAVE_PRINTF
        printf("Hello, world!\n");
        #endif
thing.