Re: Autoconf on new platforms

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Autoconf on new platforms
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:42:52 -0500

On 19-Jul-2003, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

| The easiest way for you to get this to work, is to tell users to
| create a POSIX-like environment where programs can create executables
| in the traditional way.  I suppose you could port Autoconf to the
| non-POSIX environment you're talking about, but it'd be some work
| and I don't know of anybody else who's done anything else like that.

Back in the dark ages (10 years ago?) Richard Levitte hacked autoconf
1.x to emit DCL scripts for VMS.  But given that many (most?)
configure scripts include raw sh commands in addition to autoconf
macro calls, it seems to me that making autoconf emit some other kind
of scripting language isn't the right approach to take.  If you can't
run sh commands, then you are going to have a lot of problems running
many configure scripts.

jwe