Re: [Fwd: Re: pkg-config and autoconf]

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: pkg-config and autoconf]
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:13:53 +0200

Larry Siden wrote:
I forgot to send this message to the whole group last time.  Please read
and see if you can help me.  Thanks.  -ls

Re: pkg-config and autoconf
From:
lsiden <address@hidden>
Date:
09 Aug 2003 06:03:21 -0400
To:
Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden>

Now I don't know how to get the resulint x_CFLAGS variable into the
Makefile.  I tried assigning "address@hidden@" in Makefile.am, but
no soap.  In fact, until someone told me to use pkg-config, the only way
I knew to get the build to find non-standard header files was to add
them to the ./configure command line: './configure CPPFLAGS="-I..."'.
I guess the bottom line is that I don't know the proper way to set or
add to CPPFLAGS without using the './configure' command line.  I tried
reading the docs, but seem to be missing something.

Hmm, that might not be in the docs as such, it's just that you can
reassign most of @xxFLAGS@ seen in your Makefile.in while being in
the configure.ac and before AC_OUTPUT. Just use shell-syntax for
that like
xxFLAGS="$xxFLAGS $myFLAGS"
hmmm, I'm not sure whether the autoconf manual should carry a section
on usual constructs of shell programming. AFAIK, it would help simply
because shell programming is not the common skill among (younger)
developers anymore since there are other and more powerful scripting
languages available and also installed in a usual system.

-Larry