Configuring Subpackages

From: Balint Joo
Subject: Configuring Subpackages
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:05:52 +0100

Dear All,
        I have a (probably often heard) question.

My scenario is the following.

I have 3 packages. Let us call them A, B, and C.

A is installed somewhere with an A_config program that can tell
me various configurations options about A. Eg A_config --ldflags
can return as a string the LDFLAGS needed to link with A.

B is my main bundle

C is an extra library I distribute as a subdirectory of B and is optional.

I would like to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(C)
to configure C.

However, the autoconf script for C has various enable switches
that can be learned from the A_config script and are not really
relevant for B.

My problem is the following.

AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(C) will run configure with the same command line
switches as I ran configure with in B, but I want to turn on some
extra --enable switches for configuring in C.

Any ideas as to how to do this?

I currently try and set various environment variables in
the configure script for B. The env vars get their value from
A using A_config. I then export them, and then when performing
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS they pass on their values. So far so good.

The difficulty is when sometimes, during the post configure make,
configure is sometimes re-run just at the level of C, rather than
always in B -- some dependency tracking feature. In this case the environment variables made by B are not known as the configure for C is not run from
within the configure for B

There must be a simple solution to this. Sure I could use AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS
but that just seems wrong really.

Any better ideas?

        Balint

Dr Balint Joo                         Post Doctoral Research Fellow
School of Physics
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
Scotland UK
Tel: 0131 650 6469 (from UK) +44-131-650-6469 (from outwith UK)
Fax: 0131 650 5902 (from UK) +44-131-650-5902 (from outwith UK)
email: address@hidden           address@hidden
WWW  : http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~bj