Newbie ? - GNU Toolchain, autoconf, busybox, etc.

From: STEWARD, Curtis (Jamestown)
Subject: Newbie ? - GNU Toolchain, autoconf, busybox, etc.
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:25:45 -0400

I've been trying to sort out autoconf and other options to the GNU
build/toolchain.  I believe autoconf could be the way to go based on the GNU
configuration I want:

1)  A GNU configuration that supports the GNU toolchain REGARDLESS of device
(OS, embedded, non, etc.).  Toolchain  components i.e. gcc, g++, binutils,
make and gdb to fully support the GNU build process.

2)  I believe shell should be avoided in cross platform apps, but the
initial application in this case would be shell, C and other languages to
follow.  The configuration would need to check for the existence of selected
GNU tools and optionally their version, for example sed 3.02 or patch 2.5.8.
Quite often command utilities like sed on Cygwin, Linux, Solaris, or HP-UX
can come in a variety of three or more flavors...  Tools would include GNU
command line utilities, autotools, packaging and compiler toolchain.

3)  Say the OS has sed 2.95, could the application's GNU dependencies would
be self-contained with the correct source to compile for the platform,
otherwise use the existing version?  Busybox looks like it has some of these
features, but geared to Linux targets only?  However, based on my browsing
it looks like it and scratchbox looks promising.

Before I dive into the intricacies of autoconf, is there an easier way or
can you tell me if I'm on the right track?

TIA,

cs