Re: --prefix and -R path

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: --prefix and -R path
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:53:43 -0700

Thanks Peter and Bob.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:28:00PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Build-time linker path and run-time linker path are two different things.
>
> > I'm linking with zlib which is installed in /usr/local/lib, but it seems
> > that on this machine (Solaris 2.6) that /usr/local/lib is not part of
> > the default search path.
>
> That is the normal setup on Solaris, and indeed the zlib problem is also
> quite "normal" on Solaris.

Ok, so I'll try and make a note in our README.  It does seem broken that
the header file is found but not the library (linker and compiler are
out of sync...)

> > This causes confusion because configure is saying libz is found and then
> > make check fails saying libz is not found.
>
> Then you need to teach make check about the run-time linker path.

It's not just make check.

If I add a note to our README does is there any difference between:

  LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/lib

and

  LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib

> > Another thing that is confusing (and I'm not sure if it's related to why
> > configure is not failing the libz check) is that the problem only
> > happens when using a --prefix setting.
>
> That sounds pretty weird, but the problem would probably be with your
> makefiles.

I'm using automake and libtool as well.  Plus, the package builds both a
shared library and an application that links against that shared
library.  Maybe that's why I'm seeing the -R difference on the link line
when --prefix is used.

Thanks very much for the help.

--
Bill Moseley