Re: Non-standard link paths

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: Non-standard link paths
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:19:29 -0800

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:01:12AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> > How portable is the above?  Does autoconf also deal with platforms where
> > LD_RUN_PATH is not supported?  I believe IRIX doesn't support
> > LD_RUN_PATH.
>
> Autoconf is not doing anything other than to validate that the
> provided options successfully build working software.  The
> user-provided *FLAGS options are compiler/platform/site specific.

Ok, that makes sense.

Of course, the common problem I run into is where someone that doesn't
have root on some system (and thus may not know the system that well),
is the one that has to install libraries locally and then figure out how
to link with those.  But I guess I'll just give a README example using
the flags and tell them to read the man pages and hope for the best.

I will often give the example of using both -R and LD_RUN_PATH and hope
one of those work.

Thanks for the help,

--
Bill Moseley