Re: problems compiling autoconf

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: problems compiling autoconf
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:41:36 +0000

"Kevin P. Fleming" <address@hidden> writes:

> Mea culpa... I've just seen far too many postings on various lists
> where people downloaded a package (all packages built with the
> autotools) and ran into problems when _not_ using GNU make.

This is often the case.  For all of us that only have access to GNU
make on our GNU/Linux systems, we are dependent on others to give
feedback on other systems.  [BSD make has been recently packaged for
Debian, which will help in this respect--you previously needed to
manually exorcise it from the BSD source tree which was not too easy.]

OTOH, in some cases using the features of GNU make are sometimes the
only sane way to get things done.  It's much easier to require GNU
make than crippling the build.

--
Roger Leigh