Re: [BUG] autoreconf calls libtoolize too late

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: [BUG] autoreconf calls libtoolize too late
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:46:47 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:09:28AM +0100, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> In my current testing with HEAD autoconf, I notice that autoreconf
> calls autopoint (because it installs m4 files for aclocal), then
> aclocal, and *then* libtoolize.  Presumably this is because for a
> while libtoolize tried to run aclocal itself and then do a trace to
> see whether macros were needed.

AFAICT it's an old behavior.

2001-11-08  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

        * bin/autoreconf.in (&autoreconf): Run aclocal before tracing, so
        that we can trace macros from aclocal.m4.
        Trace AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, not AM_PROG_LIBTOOL, since the latter is
        obsoleted, and redirect to the former anyway.
        Reported by Ralf Corsepius.

> Since, like autopoint, libtoolize installs m4 files for aclocal, I
> think aclocal should be called after libtoolize... possibly running
> aclocal again after libtoolize if the first aclocal invocation is
> needed to set up a trace or something...

autoreconf does call aclocal before and after libtoolize.  The first
run fetchs files from /usr/share/aclocal/, allowing traces, the second
uses the files installed by libtoolize.

> This is causing real problems for my m4 bootstrap, which currently
> has to call libtoolize by hand before calling autoreconf (which
> then calls it again with no effect after aclocal).

What are these problems?