Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:59:54 -0700

Paul Jarc wrote:
Dan Kegel <address@hidden> wrote:

The right thing to do is use /opt/arm-linux/usr/lib/pkgconfig/audiofile.pc,
which will point to the right library.

Right.  So set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/arm-linux/lib/pkgconfig.

I certainly agree that'd do it.  Not sure that Russell does yet, though.

FWIW, on my systems, every version of every package is installed in
its own prefix, even glibc.  There are no /lib, /usr/lib, or
/usr/include - but "strings pkg-config" still includes those paths.
So those strings may not mean much.

I think the embedded path is used mostly to find the lib/pkgconfig directory.

FWIW, setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH can mean yet another annoying change to each
app's build script.
If there is one toolchain associated with each lib/pkgconfig directory,
it might be more convenient for the users to plop a copy of
pkg-config into that toolchain's bin directory, with the right
default value for PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  It's easier than teaching them
about PKG_CONFIG_PATH...

- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com