Re: Looking for processor specific performance CFLAGS macro

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Looking for processor specific performance CFLAGS macro
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:37:27 +1000

Yasunari Tosa <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm looking for autoconf macro to set processor specific performance CFLAGS.

GMP does some hairy stuff to establish good defaults.

> Here I restrict myself only to Linux at this point.

It must be difficult using just a kernel, perhaps you mean GNU/Linux.

> I initially thought to use "uname -p", but this returns i686 for P4 and
> surprizing "unknown" for Redhat 7.3 with smp kernel.

On x86, running the cpuid insn is good.

But remember probing the build system is wrong when cross-compiling,
so you'll want a way to specify manually as well as probing.

> I have no idea about how I can get this info from MacOSX.

The "machine" command in recent versions, or the NXGetLocalArchInfo()
call.