Re: Autoconf 2.60?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.60?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:05:28 +0200

Hi,

Today, 18 minutes, 24 seconds ago, Paul Eggert wrote:
> I plan to review the Debian patches before putting out the 2.59b
> tarball.  If you know of any important patches in other distributions,
> please let me know.  (I don't have time to look at all the distros.)

I just noticed that for some reason I did not receive your message [1]
regarding the read-only variables issue [0].

It turns out that your patch is fine with Bash because Bash simply
prints an error message and then goes on executing the script.  However,
Tru64's, IRIX' and HPUX' /bin/sh really _stop_ the script.  In other
words, the following script prints "hello" when /bin/sh is Bash, and
doesn't otherwise:

  #!/bin/sh
  ENV=sdf
  readonly ENV