Libtool convenience library dependence check

From: Andre Caldas
Subject: Libtool convenience library dependence check
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:37:51 +0900

Hi all,

I am writing a big project with many directories. It is a library, and I am using convenience libraries (noinst_LTLIBRARIES) in all subdirectories.

What happens is that the whole project is rebuild every time I do a "make install". Like:

make install
[ project is "sucessfully" build and installed ]

make install
[ project is "sucessfully" build and installed _again_!]

My general Makefile.am is like:

 noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libLib1.la
 libLib1_la_SOURCES = Lib1_1.cpp Lib1_2.cpp Lib1_1.h Lib1_2.h
 libLib1_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined  # On windows, a dll - in future.
 libLib1_la_LIBADD  = subdir1/libLib2.la
 SUBDIRS = subdir1

In case subdir1 also contains a subdir2, then subdir1/Makefile.am will also contain lines similar to the last two ones above. If instead of this, I use LIBADD only on the topmost directory:
 pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = libLib.la
 [...]
libLib_la_LIBADD = subdir0/libLib1.la subdir0/subdir1/libLib2.la subdir0/subdir1/subdir2/libLib3.la
 SUBDIRS = subdir0

then it works fine. But I like the other way best.

My autotools versions are:

  autoconf 2.59
  automake 1.8.3
  libtool 1.4.3

Is this the expected behaviour?
Am I doing something wrong?
Is this the way convenience libraries are supposed to be used?

Thank you,
  Andre Caldas.