Re: AC_ARG_WITH

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: AC_ARG_WITH
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:06:10 +1000

Stepan Kasal wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 04:20:18AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

 /configure --with-default-size=5.8

I still think --enable-default-size=5.8 is best suited for your needs.
But it's only cosmetic change.

Maybe a new macro should be made for setting numerical defaults rather
than aimed at package defaults.

I don't think it's worth it.  Your case seems to be quite unusual.
I'd guess that you could make the parameter configurable at runtime, in a
config file.

Perhaps like this:
1) get it from user config file
2) get it from system config file, installed with the package
3) get the hardwired default

If the package would install a default config file, you'd almost never
get to 3), so there is no need to make it settable by ./configure.

Yours,
        Stepan Kasal

Hi,
I did it like this in configure.ac:

AC_ARG_WITH(
    [border],
    AC_HELP_STRING([--with-border],
                   [set default border size for negative plots (mm)]),
    [[border=$withval]],
    [[border=3]]
)
if test "$withval" = "yes" -o "$withval" = "no" ; then
    AC_MSG_ERROR([Invalid value for excellon format: $withval],1)
fi
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([GERBTOEPS_DEFAULT_BORDER],[$border],[Default border size])

(i'm still not sure if double quotes [[...]] are the right thing or not)

In main.c, i read the environment variable, then if unused, i use the
default border from config.h.