Re: Avoid redirecting to /dev/null

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Avoid redirecting to /dev/null
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:17:22 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 04:40:23PM +0530, Annamalai Gurusami wrote:
> when I issue the make command, the compiler output is being redirected
> to /dev/null.  How to avoid this redirection?

when you look more closely to the output, you see it has the following
structure:

> libtool --mode=compile g++ ${options} -c -o Telnet.lo Telnet.cc
>     g++ ${options} -c Telnet.cc -o .libs/Telnet.o -fPIC -DPIC
>     g++ ${options} -c Telnet.cc -o Telnet.o          >/dev/null 2>&1

> libtool --mode=compile g++ ${options} -c -o Command.lo Command.cc
>     g++ ${options} -c Command.cc -o .libs/Command.o -fPIC -DPIC
>     g++ ${options} -c Command.cc -o Command.o        >/dev/null 2>&1

so each libtool command compiles the source twice, so the second set
of warnings, which is almost always the same, is suppressed.

To cite from the libtool manual:
   If both PIC and non-PIC objects are being built, libtool will
normally supress the compiler output for the PIC object compilation to
save showing very similar, if not identical duplicate output for each
object.  If the `-no-suppress' option is given in compile mode, libtool
will show the compiler output for both objects.

> I just don't want to miss any warnings or errors from the compiler.

You won't.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal