Re: autoconf2.59 on rhel 3

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: autoconf2.59 on rhel 3
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:37:58 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade my autoconf from 2.57 (provided by redhat) with
> 2.59.  Since redhat does not yet supply an rpm for this version, I am
> trying to build it.  I have extracted the tar.gz file, ran configure and
> make.  All seems OK at this point, including running make check.  However,
> when I run make install, it does not replace the existing version of
> autoconf.
>
> It is probably something simple that I am not doing, but any help would ne
> greatly appreciated

Unless you told "./configure" to do something different the default
installation prefix is /usr/local.  But Red Hat and other vendors will
have installed this with a prefix of /usr.  This is a good thing
because it allows admins the ability to install local versions without
modifying the system version.

You say you are trying to build an rpm but your description makes it
sound like you are only trying to install a non-packaged version.  If
so then your actions are about what I would recommend.  You might
additionally want to remove the rpm installed version (rpm --erase) so
that there is no confusion over which version of autoconf is running.
However, the version in /usr/local/bin is usually ahead of /usr/bin in
PATH and would normally override the one in /usr/bin in well behaved
configurations.

> This message and any attachments (the "message") is
> intended solely for the addressees and is confidential.
> If you receive this message in error, please delete it and
> immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord with
> its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole
> or partial, is prohibited except formal approval. The internet
> can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
> BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not
> therefore be liable for the message if modified.

Please remove these useless and annoying footers.

Bob