Re: AC_REQUIRE problems

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: AC_REQUIRE problems
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:52:08 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:25:56AM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:
> > I think the solution which uses functions to implement dependencies is
> > much more practical.
>
> Fair enough.  But why not support parallelism while you're at it?
> This can be done in the shell, albeit less elegantly than in 'make'.

I'm not sure I know how to do it.  But that's not the main reason.

I think that adding parallelism might bring additional problems, which
could be hard to debug.  For example: make has a limit on the number of
processes; in shell, you probably have to count the number of processes
yourself.

> > Current sources (configure.ac) will be usable without any change.
>
> That would be nice, yes.

I am somehow afraid that attempts to parallelize might bring problems
with backward compatibility.

Well, on a second thought, you are probably right, paralellism in the
next thing to do.  I just don't plan to do it.

Thanks,
        Stepan