Re: optional features and AC_ARG_WITH

From: Gregorio Guidi
Subject: Re: optional features and AC_ARG_WITH
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:05:12 +0100

On Saturday 05 February 2005 01:01, Gregorio Guidi wrote:
> So I think we should:
>
> for main problem: encourage the use of AC_ARG_WITH and AC_ARG_ENABLE.
>
> for child problem: provide a standard interpretation of those macros
> (either through a macro that standardizes the use of
> AC_ARG_WITH/AC_ARG_ENABLE, such as the ones I posted at the beginning; or
> through some more precise documentation on their use, so that I can point
> to it when interacting with software developers).

I'm coming back to this problem after trying to write something down.

I think there aren't catch-all solutions for the moment, all that can be done
is extending a bit the autoconf documentation with respect to these macros,
maybe adding a few examples for the most common use cases.

Please take a look at the patch below and say what you think.

Note: as you can see, the patch assumes there will be a solution for the
"AC_REQUIRE in shell conditional" issue.

Gregorio