Re: dispatching

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: dispatching
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:59:35 +0100

Hi,

> >> "awkward fit" because you are using Autoconf in an awkward way.
> >> Using a tool an an un-intened way.
> >
> > It's really not that "unintended" IMHO. After all, Autoconf is all
> > about generating a Makefile from a template (Automake-generated or
> > handwritten) adjusted with some configuration options (partially
> > user-supplied, partially auto-checked). I'm really doing nothing
> > else. The only untypical part is that I want to use a *different*
> > template depending on one fundamental option (target system).
>
> The problem with this approach is that you now have two *different*
> ways of doing the same thing.  This will require both templates to be
> updated together, tested after each change on different systems etc..

On the contrary! The approaches for building KGI on microkernel-based
and on monolithic system are so absurdly different, that the obvious way
probably would be handling them completely independantly. What I am
actually doing here, is taking considerable pain trying to unify the
system *nevertheless*, as far as only possible.

The Automake-generated makefile would be totally meaningless on
monolithic systems, as we aren't actually building anything here.
Instead, we need a couple of helper targets, for preparing a kernel
build etc. This is really completely orthogonal; and using a different
template seems to be the only way to use Autoconf also for this case at
all.

-Olaf-