Re: Storing intermediate object files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Storing intermediate object files
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:04:56 +0200

Hi Julien,

* Jul wrote on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:29:00AM CEST:
> Hi,
> I'm a real beginner with autoconf/automake and I'm trying to configure a
> C project structured into multiple directories.
> For each directory containing C files, I wonder if there is a way to
> store the intermediate object files (*.o) into a separate 'objects'
> subdirectory.

The usual way to do is a little different, but has IMHO advantages:
You use a build tree separate from the source tree.  Assuming your
package is named foobar, and a source layout like this:

foobar/
 configure.ac
 Makefile.am
 foo.c
 bar.c

Create a separate build dir and build there:

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../foobar/configure [options]
$ make

This has the advantage that you can have many build trees as you want
(for different compile options, different systems with source on NFS,
whatever).

Regards,