noinst_bin problem

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: noinst_bin problem
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:33:33 -0400

Hi,

I've been working with autoconf for some time now and haven't figured
out the answer to a minor problem I've been having.

When I do a ./configure && make on my project (cgdb.sf.net), it builds
the program CGDB that I want to install, and it also builds several
other programs I use for debugging purposes.

I only want "cgdb" to get installed, not the other programs. For this
reason I use the rule,

noinst_bin_PROGRAMS = kui_driver
noinst_bindir = $(top_builddir)/progs

So, when I do make install, it puts the various other programs into
$(top_builddir)/progs like it's supposed to. However, when I do

make DESTDIR=/tmp/foo install

I get,

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/bob/cvs/cgdb/cgdb.rl/objdir/various/adt/src'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
/bin/sh ../../../../cgdb/config/mkinstalldirs /tmp/foo../../../progs
mkdir -p -- /tmp/foo../../../progs
mkdir: cannot create directory `/tmp/foo../../../progs': Permission denied
make[4]: *** [install-noinst_binPROGRAMS] Error 1

What am I doing wrong?

I realize this may be a simple problem, hoever, I can not figure it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi