Re: RFC: Does hand editing of "config.h" make sense?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: RFC: Does hand editing of "config.h" make sense?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:27:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Keith MARSHALL wrote:

The explanation for this is simple.  If the user wants to manually
define the value (e.g. via configure CPPFLAGS argument) she can do so
without the problem that the value set is immediately unset again by
config.h.

Yes, I see the logic of that.  But, if configure has already determined
that the header file is not present, or at least not usable, why would
any user realistically want to do that?

The autoconf philosophy is that the user (person who builds the software) should be in control. If some manual intervention from the defaults are required, it should not be necessary to edit files in order to handle that.

The reason for overriding the existing/default configuration could be due to a poor choice by the configure script, or to experiment with an option without needing to re-run the configure script.

Unfortunately, while the user is able to add definitions, I am not aware of a way to remove definitions other than to edit the configured header files.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn