Re: Makefile.am question

From: tom fogal
Subject: Re: Makefile.am question
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:31:06 -0400

I hope others will comment / correct me, I'm somewhat new to the
auto* world myself.

Also I wonder if this is the appropriate list to ask this type of
question? Doesn't automake have a mailing list? anyway...

 <address@hidden>William Estrada writes:
<snip>
>is how do I configure Makefile.am?  The make file I am using for the new
>module
>looks like this:

With automake you simply setup a name for an output binary and the
sources that make up that binary, and the rest is generally handled for
you (or specified by the user).

Instead of specifying all of those variables, you would probably
specify something like:

bin_PROGRAMS=pfssh_mips
pfssh_mips_SOURCES=pfssh_mips.c <other_sources>

in Makefile.am. If you want to enforce specific CFLAGS, use the
AM_CFLAGS variable as otherwise you can muck things up in the
generated Makefile.

The generated makefile will have the appropriate 'install' / 'clean' /
"standard" targets that one expects; you should not specify these
manually.

Finally configure.in needs to be told that you're using autoconf. Put
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE near the top, but after AC_INIT at some point. At the
end of configure.in, add in:

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])

>    CC=/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc
>    LD=/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc
<snip>

You seem to want to cross compile the app. It seems to me that forcing
a particular compiler is not 'the autoconf way'; rather, the user
should manually specify that they want to cross compile the application
via the correct options to ./configure.

>  Can someone point me to a document that will help with this tasks?

The automake manual is your friend. Just google for GNU automake and
you'll find the website; the manual is available online as HTML (and
probably downloadable in other formats).
Everything I've mentioned here is mentioned in the AM manual, in more
detail even.

-tom