Re: No dummy .dep/*.Po files on AIX

From: Mathias Froehlich
Subject: Re: No dummy .dep/*.Po files on AIX
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:00:15 +0200

Hi Ralf,

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 15:09, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Are those long lines created by Automake or are they already present in
> Makefile.am?  They are a problem, as you had to learn.  Portably-wise,
> they need to be fixed.
>
> If they are Automake-created, it might need to be fixed.
Ok, the long lines are not present in any of the Makefile.am's but it is
present in a Makefile.in.
So, it looks like it is a Automake generated line.

> > Would it be possible to replace that
> >   if grep '^#.*generated by automake' $mf > /dev/null 2>&1; then
> > with
> >   if head -1 $mf | grep '^#.*generated by automake' > /dev/null 2>&1;
> > then in _AM_OUTPUT_DEPENDENCY_COMMANDS from depout.m4?
>
> I'd rather not do this (but I do not develop Automake).  In any case,
> `head -1' does not conform to POSIX and thus possibly not forward-
> compatible.  Also, I'd leave at least a few lines for safety, as in
>   sed 10q $mf | grep '^#.*generated by automake'
Nice! :)

> > That would, in our case, work around that particular problem.
> > In general such a change would increase the probability that this test
> > does not fail due to such a line limit.
>
> Since other tools (most notable `make') may also impose line length
> restrictions, it would be best to kill the long lines.
Ok, fine with that.

Since we use gmake on all platforms for a long time we did not run into that
part.

> This is an Automake question, by the way, and as such would have better
> gone to its mailing list.  The distinction is difficult to make at
> times, though.  :)
Definitly, as we talk about that, it gets clear that automake might be the
offending part.

So I will ask at address@hidden

   Thanks!

           Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Fröhlich, science + computing ag, Software Solutions
Hagellocher Weg 71-75, D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany