Re: Autoconf and optional arguments for the configure script

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Autoconf and optional arguments for the configure script
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:43:59 -0700

Bernd Lachner <address@hidden> writes:

> I want more this two types of arguments for the configure script:
>
> 1)
> --device=x where x can be devicea, deviceb, ....
>
> This should lead for example to a #define devicea in config.h.
>
> 2)
> --devicexresoluton=x
> --deviceyresolution=y
>
> or even better
>
> --deviceres=x*y
>
> where x and y is an integer value. This should lead for example to a #define
> xres 320 and #define yres 240 in config.h.

Are you really sure that it's best to define these at configure
time?  These seem more specific to a particular run of a program
than to a particular build.  What if, for example, your program
were packaged by a GNU/Linux distribution?  Would they want to
make these values modifiable at runtime?
--
"While the Melissa license is a bit unclear, Melissa aggressively
 encourages free distribution of its source code."