Re: checking for Berkley db 4.2 --> 4.3 upgrade

From: David Lloyd
Subject: Re: checking for Berkley db 4.2 --> 4.3 upgrade
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:35:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Stepan Kasal wrote:

Well, instead of a conclusion I have to ask: is "Berkeley db" functionality available only from one project, or are there several implementations? (I think the db _format_ can be accessed by several independent libraries, but that's not the question.)

If you're talking Berkeley DB 2.0 or later, there is only one. The difference in functionality between the old Berkeley DB and the current product by Sleepycat is very substantial at this point, and refering to the various DBM-type libraries as being in the same category as Sleepycat's product is just untrue at this point (they've added transactions, locking, memory pools, replication, all kinds of stuff).

That said, as an experienced BDB user, I can say with some certainty that it is quite safe to check for just the version number of any of Sleepycat's products if you're looking for features or behaviors.

If you're dealing with the old DBM-type format (Berkeley DB 1.8x), you may be better off probing for features and behaviors; I suspect there are multiple implementations of this type of database.

- D