Re: Checking for 32bit/64bit and using the result in configure.in

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Checking for 32bit/64bit and using the result in configure.in
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:36:36 -0800

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 05:56:10PM +0100, Maha Ramanan wrote:
> I am having problems to check if the cpu is 32bit/64 bit and assign -m32
> option to the CXXFLAGS variable based on the result in configure.in file.
> Can anyone help me on this?

You could detect whether one must past `-m32' to the build system native
compiler in order to create an executable that runs on the build system, but the
answer will always be `no'.  An example of a remarkably strange configuration
that such a test would aid is a mips-unknown-linux-gnu system with a
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain installed as though native.

Why do you need this test?