Re: Generated Makefiles for multiple platforms

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Generated Makefiles for multiple platforms
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:39:18 -0500

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 06:26 -0800, BRM wrote:
> --- Braden McDaniel <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 08:31 -0800, BRM wrote:
> > > I originally sent this to the Automake list since
> > > figured it was an issue with Automake, however, I
> have
> > > not seen any response to it yet. So, any help is
> very
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > You're trying to do work that autoconf wants to do
> > for you.
> > Your build directories are
> > configuration-specific--which can include
> > platform-specific aspects. To configure for a
> > platform (or even a
> > particular configuration of a platform): create a
> > directory, change to
> > it, and run your configure script there.
>
> Normally, that may be true.

It is always true. That is how autoconf works.

>  However, the project I am
> working on will need different directories for
> different platforms and possibly (not positive yet)
> different cpu´s because of vast differences in code.
> Parts of the project will be providing GUI interfaces,
> and at present it is planned to use WIN32 API´s on
> Windows, while using something else on Linux/Unix as I
> haven´t gotten a library like Qt approved yet (and I
> don´t know if I´ll be able to). Is there a better way
> still, to solve this problem? I´m all ears.

That's fine. It doesn't mean you need to generate makefiles
conditionally. Generate the same set of makefiles all the time; let
configure take care of exactly what they contain (and thus what gets
built).

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>