Re: Autoconf and CVS

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf and CVS
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:49:16 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Stepan Kasal wrote:

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 10:26:10AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
In some cases most of the project developers don't want to have
anything to do with build maintenance.  They just want to edit
existing C/C++ source code.

This is natural.  But they might want to add a new source file, ...
I must be annoying to ask "the autotools expert" to do it for them.

It's much better to keep the primary condition and the bootstrap script
working, so that every user can install a reasonably recent autotools
and bootstrap the project himself.  In the days of Automake 1.4 and 1.5,
there were problems with compatibility between different versions of
Automake, but that has been solved several years ago.

It must be nice to have such a simple project. :-)

For my own project, released autoconf and automake have been fine, but released libtool has never been quite good enough. So for many years, I have used hand-tweaked versions of CVS libtool. I can't expect the other developers to reproduce the libtool I am using. Libtool is getting better and better so I expect that eventually it will become good enough that using the latest released libtool will be sufficient. As a result, the project uses "maintainer mode" and generated files are in CVS.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn