Re[2]: double underscores in autoconf-defined symbol names

From: Vadim Zeitlin <vadim
Subject: Re[2]: double underscores in autoconf-defined symbol names
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:00:55 +0100

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:02:47 +0000 Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden> wrote:

KM> From your example, it appears that you are searching for functions
KM> using their "uglified" Microsoft names.

 It's not really uglified. Microsoft CRT is pretty consistent in prepending
underscores to POSIX/Unix98/anything-but-ANSI-C functions. This is
certainly annoying at times but it makes its kind of sense.

KM> The MinGW port of GCC for Win32 defines aliases for most of these
KM> ugly function names, with the leading underscore removed;

 I want configure to work with both mingw32 and cygwin and one of them (I
think it was cygwin but I'm not 100% sure; I can recheck it though) has
only _snprintf but not snprintf.

KM> I think Microsoft's own compiler does likewise, (but don't know for
KM> sure).

 It only does this if _POSIX is defined and __STDC__ is *not* defined. And
the latter must always be defined in practice so, no, it doesn't really do
it.

 Thanks anyhow for your suggestions!
VZ