Re: makeinfo

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: makeinfo
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:12:24 +0000

Ralf Wildenhues wrote, quoting Bob Rossi:
>> When I run configure I get this error,

>> Making all in src
>> Making all in doc
>> Updating ../../cgdb/doc/version.texi
>> /home/bob/cvs/cgdb/cgdb/cgdb/config/missing: line 46: makeinfo: command
not found
>> WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it
if
>>          you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
>>          indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
>>          call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make'
(AIX,
>>          DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
>>          the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive
site.

> Looks like a warning rather than an error to me.

Does to me too.

>> Do I need to have that program installed to run configure? I'm running
>> this out of a CVS repo of a program, that has all the autotool files
>> checked in. Not from a 'make dist' of the autotools.
>
> Does it have the .info files checked in?

Building from CVS often imposes more severe requirements than simply
building
from a release tarball.  For example, GNU Troff (groff) doesn't keep
*.info
files in CVS; users building from CVS are required to install texinfo >=
4.8.
Of course, this should be documented in some README file, which *is* kept
in
the CVS; (and yes, groff *does* fulfil this expectation).

Regards,
Keith.