Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:45:31 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Bob Rossi wrote:

Anyways, with all that the auto tools provide, this is the single most
frustrating problem that I have. I wish there was an elegant solution
with CVS to store the generated files. Is there?

While timestamps could certainly be an issue, they have not been much of an issue for projects I work on. Timestamps are usually not a problem as long as commits are comprehensive and are not done in a piecemeal fashion. A much larger issue is if developers do not use identical autotool versions. If autotool versions are not identical, or there is any variation at all, then huge differences are generated in the configure script (e.g. debug line numbers) and there are changes in the Makefile.in files. This results in thrashing, and uncertainty as to whether the versions in the version control system are the best/correct ones. This particular problem is not solved by any version control system I am aware of.

To me, lack of directory versioning is a much bigger problem with CVS than its timestamp uncertainty. CVS does produce original timestamps as long as files are not merged.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn