Re: Checking for GCC 4

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Checking for GCC 4
Date: 03 Feb 2006 00:00:35 -0500

%% Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

  rc> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 16:35 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
  >> %% Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

  hs> Sometimes it's Really Hard to check for features/problems.
  hs> Really Really Hard.

  >> This is especially true when cross-compiling.

  rc> Simply not true, esp. in case of compilers.

It IS true.

  rc> Compilers are always running natively on the host.

Yes, but many features of the compiler cannot be tested just by
compiling code: you actually have to run the code to determine whether
it works one way or the other way.

Of course there are some obvious things that are syntax related that can
be checked at compile time, but definitely not everything.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.