Re: debug builds with NO optimizations

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: debug builds with NO optimizations
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:09:19 -0800

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> That didn't used to be the case, as I remember from the docs.
>
> I do remember (perhaps incorrectly) that the difference was apparent
> when running "config.status --recheck".

I am sure there is more to it that I am not aware of.  Otherwise, there
would be no controversy.  Maybe someone who actually knows something
about autoconf can say for sure.  But from what I can tell for setting
CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and so on, either way of doing it should
record the choice equally in generated files.

There is also the the issue of overriding during make, such as "make
CFLAGS=-O2" which from what I can tell sometimes works and sometimes is
a bad idea.  It also depends on your platform's make since I think there
are differences in how these kind of overrides are handled.  But that
would be another route to try if you wanted to change the build without
reconfiguring and without making separate build directories.

Brian