Re: debug builds with NO optimizations

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: debug builds with NO optimizations
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:58:07 -0700

In one case, you are using valid shell command syntax to set a variable
for a specific run of a script or program (var=value ./program).

In the other case, you are passing a parameter to configure, which then
sets this variable for its own environment as it parses its parameter
list, and then continues doing whatever it would have done with no
parameters (./configure var=value).

In both cases, the CFLAGS variable is set to the desired parameters
before the bulk of the configure script is executed.

John

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 01:37:14AM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> "John Calcote" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > My question: Anyone know of a good idiom for managing optimization
flags -
> > including disabling the obligatory -O2 placed in CFLAGS by
AC_PROG_CC?

> .../configure CFLAGS=-g

Just out of curiosity, is this different than 'CFLAGS=-g ./configure
...'? I do this all the time and wonder if your way is somehow better.

Bob Rossi