Grouping header files during build

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Grouping header files during build
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:33:40 +1100

Hi,
I have a build tree consisting of various programs and libraries, all
in separate subdirectories. The programs are built using these libraries.
Both programs and libraries get installed.

When each library is built, i want to copy its header to a header-directory
and its object to a library-directory in the buildtree so that the programs
that get built later can include it using the gcc -I and -L options.

So, what is the recommended way in Makefile.am to copy a library header and
object to another directory after a library is built?

Finally, could i also get the central library header directory and object
directory installed in the distribution?