Re: AC_DEFINE problem

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE problem
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:10:13 +0200

Hi Peter,

* Peter Breitenlohner wrote on Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:56:52AM CEST:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > autoconf
> >inside the top source directory works fine Autoconf-2.59.  However, do
> >note that aclocal.m4 contains some macro definitions which are not
> >supplied by either Automake nor Libtool, and are not part of Autoconf
> >either, nor of the epsilon package.  So if you ever run aclocal, you
> >have to make sure to have sources for these macros available.
>
> Isn't this (i.e., aclocal.m4 containing private macros[*] without their
> sources)
> something that should be VERY STRONGLY discouraged. After all, running
> "reautoconf" may (does?) invoke aclocal.

Yes, I agree.

OK, this package needs pkg.m4 from the pkg-config package, and the
AC_PATH_GENERIC macro, persumably from the Autoconf archive.

The README suggests that more files, especially autogen.sh, are present
in CVS that are not in the tarball.  Eric, what exactly is the CVS path
where I can download this package?  If the package doesn't contain
pkg.m4 and (presumably) ac_path_generic.m4, then it probably should, or
it should list the respective packages as prerequisite installs for a
bootstrap.

One good possibility then would be to create a directory named "m4",
put those files in there, add
  ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4

to the toplevel Makefile.am, and
  AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

to configure.in, and just run "autoreconf -vi" (or whatever else
autogen.sh runs as well).

Eric, if you take this information upstream to some enlightenment
developers, it should be possible to get working, I hope.  Otherwise
please ask again.