Re: Autoconf disabling shared

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Autoconf disabling shared
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:41:37 +0200

Hi Paulo,

* Paulo J. Matos wrote on Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:32:46PM CEST:

> I'm trying to use libtool so that it links all libraries as static so
> I added to configure.ac: AC_DISABLE_SHARED before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> and I added the libraries (*.la files) I wanted to link in Makefile.am
> LDADD.
>
> but still, it is linking all the librares as shared.
>
> Any ideas on what's missing?

Yep.  First, Libtool questions are best asked on one of the Libtool
lists.  Then, AC_DISABLE_SHARED causes the package to *build* static
libraries by default only.  To link statically against libraries, you
can use -static to prevent shared linking against uninstalled libtool
libraries.  Libtool versions between 1.5 and 1.5.20 including also
linked statically against installed libtool libraries if you used
-static; but that is somewhat inconsistent, and wasn't used before.
So, 1.5.22 doesn't do that.  To accommodate, 1.5.24 will allow a new
flag, -static-libtool-libs, to achieve this.

Linking statically against non-libtool libraries can only be done with
-all-static, which tries to link everything statically, but which works
on less and less systems.  We plan to add per-deplibs flags for shared
or static linking (a patch to this end has been posted, but postponed
to after 2.0).