checking version of a specific language interpreter/compiler

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: checking version of a specific language interpreter/compiler
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:26:27 +0200

I'm trying to implement a minimum version check for OCaml. Looking at
various existing implementations of such checks (python, libxml2,
etc...), I see all of them relying on executing a code fragment in the
target language through AC_TRY_RUN, instead of standard shell code.

However, autoconf manual discourage such checks:
"Avoid running test programs if possible, because this prevents people
from configuring your package for cross-compiling."

So, is there a reason for prefering target code here ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
Projet Estime, INRIA