Re: preventing defines in config.h

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: preventing defines in config.h
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:04:55 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:22:02AM -0500, Andy Howell wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       I'm tying to understand how defines get added to config.h. In my
> configure.ac file I have:
>
> if test "apple" = "orange"; then
>       AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(HAVE_SOMETHING,1,[Define if SOMETHING])
> fi
>
> My test fails, so I don't expect to get
>
> /* Define is SOMETHING */
> #define HAVE_SOMETHING 1
>
> in config.h
>
> I did a sh -x on configure, but I never see it do HAVE_SOMETHING.

it is OK.

The template config.h.in contains `#undef HAVE_SOMETHING'.
(It is usually created by autoheader.)

Configure collects all AC_DEFINES, the one you quoted above is not
executed, of course.

At the end, configure creates and calls config.status.

config.status makes substitutions for all AC_DEFINES, but
HAVE_SOMETHING is not among them, so the `#undef HAVE_SOMETHING'
stays there.  Then it comments out all #undefs, but that's a general
substitution, ie. it does not contain `HAVE_SOMETHING'.

Hope this helps,
        Stepan Kasal