Re: Finding dlopen and friends on Tandem NSK/OSS

From: Matthew Woehlke
Subject: Re: Finding dlopen and friends on Tandem NSK/OSS
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:58:57 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Matthew Woehlke wrote on Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:54:57PM CET:
(Hopefully this is the right list... :-))

No, it's not, but it's good you mention it.  Libtool would need a
similar change.

Right. I think it's best, then, to let this thread die. There are already other threads where they need to be (unless someone wants to take this to libtool, but so far I'm not doing anything with libtool on NSK).

While trying to build gawk on Tandem NSK/OSS, I ran into dlopen, dlsys and dlerror being unresolved. I finally determined that these are present in the 'zrldsrl' library.

Change the
  AC_CHECK_LIB(dl, dlopen)

in gawk's configure.ac to be
  AC_SEARCH_LIBS([dlopen], [dl zrldsrl])

Right. I never said it was the *best* solution, just that 'zrldsrl' was the particular library needed. :-) (It took a while to dig up this information, so I figured it would be considerate of me to share those findings.) Anyway, thanks for enlightening me on autoconf syntax (which I would have gotten wrong :-)).

I have written to bug-gawk (AT gnu.org), but thought it would be nice if autoconf was aware of this so it could add -lzrldsrl (instead of -ldl) when looking for the dlopen library on tandem targets.

Autoconf doesn't have a native (specialized) check for dlopen, but
Libtool does.  But I do wonder whether dlopen has the same semantics
on Tandem.

Well, from a (really) cursory comparison of the man pages, it looks the same...

At any rate, AFAICT gawk is not using libtool.

--
Matthew
If this message is intercepted, the sender will disavow all knowledge of its existence.