Re: order to run autotools

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: order to run autotools
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:15:00 +0100

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:59 -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm learning a lot about the autotools. I want to say thanks to the list
> for teaching me so much!
>
> I have a quick question, I run the autotools in this order,

With recent auto*tools, you should use autoreconf instead

>   aclocal -I config
>   autoconf -f
>   autoheader
>   automake -a
> when I do an out-of-tree configure it works fine, but when I do the make
> I get,
>   cd ../cgdb && /bin/bash
>   /home/bob/rcs/svn/cgdb/cgdb.testsuite/cgdb/config/missing --run
>   autoheader
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this expected?
The former, the order is wrong. But unless you're using ancient
auto*tools, you're better off using autoreconf.

Besides this, there is a (AFAICT, yet undiscovered) bug somewhere, which
occasionally triggers "seemingly spurious" autoheader runs.